Sunday, May 11, 2014

On the Afterlife Visit of Rabbi Yosef Shmuel of Cracow author of Masoret Hashas

In 1898 Be'er Yitzchak, by Rabbi Yitzchak Isaac Billitzer, Rav of Nagiada, in Slovakia was published, including a lengthy biography of the author. In the biography, an interesting story is brought down about Rabbi Yosef Shmuel of Cracow, the author of מסורת הש"ס who passed away in the 564 (1703-04).

דף ג עמוד ב in Be'er Yitzchak Billitzer

Rabbi Yosef Shmuel was Rabbi in Frankfurt and in his days, there were great Torah Scholars who learned together every day. After his soul departed, the group of Torah Scholars gathered together to learn as was their custom and found the deceased sitting in his chair as usual. They trembled in fear but the deceased told them, not to be afraid as I will return immediately to my place but I must let you know what transpired.
"When I reached heaven, there was an announcement to clear room for Rabbi Yosef Shmuel of Cracow and they immediately set me a place near Rabbi Isaiah Halevi Horowitz, author of the Shelah but the Shelah refused that I would be his neighbor and said how he wrote the book Shelah full of Mussar for the masses... and Rabbi Yosef Shmuel not once gave over words of Mussar to the people.... I took upon myself to come down to this world and fix this... the group immediately accepted this upon themselves and the deceased immediately returned to heaven and has not been seen since."

No comments:

Post a Comment